Building Services

Applications for building permits and guidelines for the homeowner are available to download below.

Completed forms and drawings can be dropped off at 1669 Arthur Street, Richards Landing, in the mail drop box, or mailed to The Township of St. Joseph,  P.O. Box 187, Richards Landing, ON, P0R 1J0 for the CBO to review and approve. Inquiries about applications can be directed to the Clerk Administrator, [email protected] or by calling the Chief Building Official at 705.971.5116.

The following list will ensure that you have everything that you need in order to submit a complete application to the Township Office and that the process is as quick and easy as possible.  Follow these simple steps to get started:

  • Check the Zoning By-law to make sure you know the zoning of your property and whether there are any special restrictions or limitations with regard to setbacks, size of buildings or the type of use permitted Zoning Bylaw Amendment Guide and Application 2023. Also Please see: Building Permit Guide For the Homeowner 2023

  • Download and read through the Building Permit Application 2024 to ensure you know what is expected of you.

  • Download the permit application form and fill out all required sections including the lot number, concession and plan.  If you are planning on a new construction, you will also need to complete the Energy Efficiency Design Summary.

  • Prepare required drawings or have plans stamped by an engineer (in the case of a new building/residence).  The specific types of drawings required can be found within the Building Permit Guide for the Homeowner and usually include a site plan of your property as well as detailed drawings of the project.  The Site Plan must show all buildings and structures on the property as well as the distance between buildings and from all property lines.

  • Submit your completed Building Permit Application with the required drawings to the Municipal Office during office hours.  The Clerk Administrator will review your application for any obvious errors or omissions and then pass the application onto the Building Inspector for final review and approval.  Keep in mind that the Building Inspector works only on weekends and this process can take approximately one week or more to complete.  Make sure that you submit your completed application with all supporting documentation well before your estimated project start date to ensure that everything is ready in time. Please see the amended Building Permit Fees: Building Permit 2020 Fee Scheule Amended 2020

  • Once the permit has been approved, you will be contacted by our office to advise that your permit is ready to be picked up and the fee required.  This fee is to be made payable to The Township of St. Joseph and can be in the form of cash or cheque or by EFT at [email protected] 

  • Please bring your payment when you pick up your permit.  The permit must be posted in a visible location on the work site and the Building Inspector must be notified during specific phases within the project (as set out on permit) to conduct inspections.  You may reach the Building Inspector, Glen Irwin by calling (705) 971-5116

  • In addition, if your property does not already have a civic number attached to it, you will need to complete a Civic Address Application Form. You may wish to refer to the Civic Addressing Policy for more information. 

Building Bylaw 2018 - see docs below

Application to Purchase Shore Road Allowance 2022

Official Plan - see below

To appeal a zoning amendment or planning board consent to sever, please contact the Ontario Municipal Board


Information on Work Permits for Shorelines

With the warmer weather comes the opportunity to start work on your property and shorelines. But, before you begin, it’s important to obtain the necessary work permits in order to avoid potential fines.

By law, you must get a work permit from the Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources and Forestry (NDMNRF) for certain activities on Crown land and shore lands before any work can take place. Permits help ensure that activities include considerations for the environment, other users, and neighbouring landowners. 

For more information on what work requires a permit and how to apply please visit the Natural Resources Information Portal at The portal is a one stop shop for Lands and Waters information and includes information and forms for making work permit applications.

Want to know where to find Crown land? Visit the Crown land use policy atlas map viewer to locate Crown land and the policies outlining what activities may be permitted on it:

Need to make a topographic map for your next outdoor adventure or to support your work permit application? Visit:

The best way to report potential resource abuse or a public lands violations is to call NDMNRF TIPS line – 1-877-847-7667.

Information about fish and wildlife and natural resource management can be found on the NDMNRF's website at but we are happy to address specific questions you may have.

St. Joseph Island Planning Board Information

For inquiries regarding the Planning Board, please contact Michael Jagger, Secretary

St. Joseph Island Planning Board Consent Application Docs - see below

If you work in construction, the rules for mandatory WSIB coverage have changed.  Do you run your own construction business? Big or small, with workers or without, you still need to know what’s changed.

Find out what this means for you