Landfill and Recycling Depot
Richards Landing ON P0R 1J0
Saturday 8:00am to 2:00pm
*Closed Mondays from Thanksgiving to Victoria Day*
Sunday & Wednesday 2:00pm to 8:00pm
Residents are reminded that Landfill Use Permit Windshield stickers must be displayed for entry to the Township of St. Joseph Landfill Site. If you have not received one, or have a second vehicle for which you would like one, additional stickers may be obtained at the Township Office at 1669 Arthur Street in Richards Landing.
Tipping fees will be waived at the Township of St. Joseph Landfill for non-household refuse (brush, metal, etc.) from residences within the Township during regular dump hours during one week each spring. Maximum load size is 2 cu. yds. (1/2 ton truck or small trailer). No Dump Trucks – No Commercial Refuse. Landfill Use Permit windshield stickers are required and are available for pick up at the Township Office. Check the News Section for this year’s spring clean-up week.
Landfill Use Guidelines
These guidelines provide an overview of the requirements for use of the Township of St. Joseph Municipal Landfill Site and have been developed to reflect Ministry of the Environment regulations. Public co-operation in following these guidelines will benefit the entire community.
The cost to eventually close our existing landfill and develop a new site is expected to be in excess of $1 Million. By working together, we can prolong the life of our current landfill site and reduce the tax dollars required to operate this facility.
Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in withdrawal of individual dumping privileges
- Landfill Use Permit sticker must be displayed in the lower left corner of the windshield for access to the landfill.
- Household refuse must be separated from recyclable materials and non-household refuse.
- Household refuse is to be thrown over the bank in designated area.
- Recyclable materials must be placed in recycling depot collection bins.
- Tipping fees are in effect for non-household refuse (i.e. wood, metal, building materials, fill, stumps, etc.)
- Non-household refuse must be separated and placed within appropriate areas of back/lower level of landfill site.
- Designated areas are signed for each type of non-household refuse (clean wood/brush, painted/treated wood, metals and other non-household refuse)
- Landfill Use Permit sticker and receipt for tipping fees is required for access to back/lower level of landfill site, which is closed during the winter months.
- Tipping fees may be paid at the Township Office, Ambeault’s Confectionery or Kent’s Corner. No on-site payments.
- We DO NOT accept hazardous waste at our landfill.
Need to dispose of unused prescriptions and medical sharps?
- The Health Products Stewardship Association operates programs locally through participating pharmacies to collect these products.
- Visit your local participating pharmacy to return these products. Find the one nearest you by visiting www.healthsteward.ca or by downloading the Recyclepedia App on your device. MacKay’s Island Pharmacy is a location in our Township.
- Pharmaceuticals/medications/prescription drugs and medical sharps are household hazardous waste and should not be placed in the regular garbage collection.
The Township of St. Joseph does not accept household hazardous waste in the municipal landfill. Hazardous Waste includes products which are corrosive (such as acids), flammable (burns easily), reactive (explosive or produce deadly vapours), or toxic (poisonous to humans). Examples of household hazardous waste include: acids, aerosols, antifreeze, bases (cleaning solutions, etc.), batteries, fire extinguishers, flammables (cleaning solvents), oils, paint, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, propane cylinders and sharp objects (needles).
All household hazardous waste must be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Depot at 402 Fifth Line East in Sault Ste. Marie:
Phone: (705) 759-5201
Hours of Operation
Opening June 7, 2016
Tuesday to Saturday – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (June 7, 2016 to October 31, 2016)
Monday to Friday – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (November 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017)
The Depot will accept hazardous waste from small businesses as well. The service is free of charge to residents, however, fees apply to businesses.
The Special Waste Depot accepts: paint, batteries, motor oil, antifreeze, pesticides, acids, diesel fuel, flammables, varsol, oil filters, aerosols and bases, propane tanks and cylinders, printer cartridges, sharps/biohazard containers, pharmaceuticals, caustics, oxidizers, organic liquids, cell phones, fluorescent light tubes.
Electronic equipment such as computers, monitors, TVs, cell phones, fax machines, CD players, etc. are accepted at the waste disposal site. There is a Electronics bin located in the recycling section.
Recycling helps to save our environment and will prolong the life of our landfill. Recyclable materials should be sorted into two categories: Paper Products (paper, magazines and cardboard) and Glass, Plastic and Metal Containers.
The following items are accepted at our Recycling Depot:
Paper towel/toilet paper rolls
Paper egg cartons
Waxed milk/juice cartons
Magazines, including glossy paper
Phone books, hard and soft covered books
#1 and #2 plastic bottles
The following items are NOT accepted at our Recycling Depot:
Any plastics, tins, cans, glass
NO STYROFOAM OF ANY TYPE
PLEASE REMOVE CRUSTS
Wooden toilet seats
Wood, including no orange crates with wood supports
Plastics other than #1 and #2 bottles If a container has a #1 or #2 on and it is not a bottle (e.g. beverage or shampoo) it is not recyclable
Pane glass, drinking glasses, mirrors
Empty paint cans
Plastic bags even if they are #1 or #2
NO STYROFOAM OF ANY TYPE
Plastic vegetable trays even if they are #1 or #2
The Share Shed is located next to the recycling depot at the St. Joseph Township Landfill Site.
Township Residents / Ratepayers are encouraged to contribute good quality items that are no longer
wanted but are still useable by others. Please read the signs, place the items neatly on the shelves, and help to keep the share shed tidy.
Acceptable Items Include:
Small Household Items
Books and Magazines
Small Appliances (in working condition)
Tools (in working condition)
Unacceptable Items Include:
Hazardous Materials or Waste
Liquids of any kind
Clothing or Stuffed Animals
Appliances containing Freon
The Township of St. Joseph now offers Tire Recycling at our landfill site through the Ontario Tire Stewardship. Please refer to the attachments below for more information on the program.